Andover and Cambridge host holiday events beginning Saturday, Dec. 2, in both villages.
Andover Christmas Walk
Saturday, Dec. 2, is the date to save for the 28th annual Andover Christmas Walk. Events include:
4:45 p.m. Tree lighting ceremony and carol sing at the gazebo on the east side of Andover Lake Park.
5 to 7 p.m. Children’s crafts, games and magic show, Santa and Mrs. Claus handing out treats, piano music, refreshments, Christmas cookie walk, gift-giving bazaar, silent auction of Christmas and winter decorations, and snowmen display in the upper level of Andover American Legion Post.
5 to 7 p.m. Soup supper, Christmas goodies and carolers in lower level of Andover American Legion Post.
5 p.m. Lighted displays and luminaries in Andover Lake Park.
5:30 p.m. (Weather permitting) Tractor-pulled wagon rides with pick-up and drop-off by east pavilion in Andover Lake Park.
6 to 8 p.m. Music in candle-lit Jenny Lind Chapel.
Christmas on the Square children’s events
Christmas on the Square features lots of children’s activities on Saturday, Dec. 2, including:
• 3 to 4:30 p.m. Cambridge Community Hall. Cookie decorating, crafts and more.
• 4 to 8 p.m. B & B National Toy Museum, West Center Street. Tours of the museum, giant toy-filled stocking raffle, face painting and homemade ice cream. Immediately after the 6 p.m. lighted parade, Santa will arrive on a fire truck at the toy museum for visits with children.
For Sunday, Dec. 3, the schedule includes:
• 4:30 to 6:30 p.m. Cambridge Community Hall. Santa will be available for visits with children.
Food at Christmas on the Square: Opportunities for dinners and desserts abound at Christmas on the Square on Saturday, Dec. 2 and Sunday, Dec. 3, including:
• Saturday — B & B National Toy Museum, open 4 to 8 p.m. for tours, will have J & C homemade ice cream stirred up by an antique John Deere 3-horsepower hit-and-miss motor. Vanilla, chocolate and strawberry ice cream will be available, as will root beer floats.
Village Light Church, located in the former Farm Bureau building, will serve a pasta dinner from 4 to 6 p.m. The menu includes chicken alfredo, a pasta dish with marinara sauce and a gluten-free dish. The church requests a free-will offering, with proceeds going to Cambridge Cares.
Businesses and storefronts in downtown Cambridge will offer sweet treats and more from 6 to 8 p.m.
• Sunday — Cambridge Lutheran Church will hold a bake sale and barbecue lunch from 11:30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. The church will charge for the lunch, which will include a sandwich, chips, cookie and drink.
Cambridge Baptist Church will host Calories Galore at noon.
Cambridge High School’s music department will host a soup supper from 4:30 to 6:30 p.m. at Cambridge Community Hall. The menu includes soup, drink and dessert for one price, and a hot dog meal for a lesser charge. The jazz band will perform at 5:30 p.m.
Cà d'Zan House Concerts will have a potluck at 6 p.m. before the 7 p.m. Christmas open mic show.
Christmas on the Square entertainment: The 2017 Christmas on the Square schedule includes a wide variety of family-friendly entertainment for visitors.
• Saturday, Dec. 2 — 3 to 8 p.m. Trees for a Cause silent auction at Cambridge Community Hall. Charities in the community are decorating trees for the auction, and each charity will receive proceeds from the sale of its tree. Bidding will end promptly at 8 p.m.
5:45 p.m. Christmas tree lighting in College Square Park.
6 p.m. Lighted parade from corner of Center and East streets to Prospect Street and then to Memorial Park. Santa will ride on the fire truck.
7 p.m. Stay and Pay prize drawing at the B & B Toy Museum. Winners need not be present to win.
7:30 p.m. Mystic Fire and Flames dance teams preview their competition routines at Community Hall.
• Sunday, Dec. 3 — 4:30 to 5:30 p.m. Christmas skits and impromptu fun at Cambridge Community Hall during the Cambridge High School music department’s soup supper. Local residents will perform some short Christmas skits with some impromptu thrown in for fun.
5:30 p.m. Cambridge High School’s jazz band will perform during the soup supper at Cambridge Community Hall.
7 p.m. Grace Notes concert at Cambridge Baptist Church.
7 p.m. Christmas open mic at Cà D’Zan House Concerts. Anyone interested in performing (music, poetry, stories, dance, etc.) can send John Taylor a message at email@example.com to sign up. Guests are welcome and should send Taylor a message so he can ensure he has enough room.
Cà d’Zan open mic: The schedule for Cà d'Zan House Concerts, Cambridge, this month includes:
• 7 p.m. Sunday, Dec. 3 — Cà d'Zan Christmas Open Mic, the last event of Christmas on the Square. Families in the Cambridge area are invited to come for child-friendly songs, stories, poems and food. Preceding the concert will be a potluck at 6 p.m.
Anyone interested in performing or attending should sign up in advance by sending a message to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Joy of Christmas Past and Present
Augustana College students and faculty will join the congregation of Augustana Lutheran Church for the Joy of Christmas Past and Present service at 7:30 p.m. Wednesday, Dec. 6, in Andover.
In the mid-1800s, Pastor Lars Esbjörn founded the church and the college. This annual event celebrates the common heritage of the two institutions with a worship service filled with choir and instrumental music and the Christmas story from scripture read in various languages.
After the service, the worshipers will process to candle-lit Jenny Lind Chapel for Communion and carols. Then everyone will return to the church for refreshments in Luther Hall.